(formerly the Hollomon Award)
The Board of Governors of Acta Materialia, Inc. has established an annual award in memory of J. Herbert Hollomon, principal instigator of the journal Acta Metallurgica. Acta Materialia, Inc. represents 33 professional societies worldwide in publishing two international journals and in other activities supporting the materials profession. The award recognizes contributions to the interactions between materials technology and societal concerns. The award consists of a specialty scupture, suitably inscribed, an inscribed certificate, a cash honorarium of $5000, and payment of travel expenses related to the award ceremony (if needed).
Qualifications for the award are as follows:
- Candidates may be proposed by individual Board members of Acta Materialia, Inc., by its Sponsoring and Cooperating Societies, and by the Editors of Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia, and Acta Biomaterialia. Each may nominate one candidate each year, and should provide adequate documentation to support the nomination.
- a brief personal history or biographical sketch.
- reasons supporting the nomination, (e.g. major impacts of the nominee’s work).
- a list of publications.
- 3-4 support letters from established research scientists.
- The criteria for nomination and selection are either outstanding career contributions to understanding of the relations between materials technology and societal interests or contributions to materials technology that have had major impact on society.
- Five judges will be approved by the Board of Governors of Acta Materialia, Inc.. Their term of office will normally be three years, on a suitably staggered basis.
- The award will be made each year unless the judges feel no candidate is qualified. Presentation will be made at a meeting of the nominating society or, if otherwise nominated, at a major technical meeting selected by the awardee.
- Nominations should be submitted by 31 December of each year to Professor Carolyn Hansson, Secretary of Acta Materialia, Inc., Department of Mechanical & Mechantronics Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1 (electronically to Shelley Bacik: firstname.lastname@example.org).
In addition, the Sponsoring Societies’ annual Materials and Society lecturer will be an automatic nominee. Nominations will remain in effect for three years unless withdrawn or re-renominated, for an additional two year period.
Acta Materialia, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to disseminating the knowledge of science and engineering of materials, primarily by publishing high quality journals covering the areas of materials science, biomaterials, materials engineering, and materials chemistry and physics. The corporation publishes three journals in collaboration with Elsevier: Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia, and Acta Biomaterialia.
Materials & Society Award Recipients
(formerly the Hollomon Award)
|2005||Alton D. Romig, Jr.|
|2001||Mary L. Good|
|1999||(No award made)|